Posts Tagged ‘charcoal braai’
Charcoal Braai vs. Gas Barbecue: The Fiery Debate
Tongs and wire brushes have been raised in battle. Aprons have been sullied in debate. Marinades have been splashed in frustration. Since man has been able to slap a slab of meat down on a grid the debate has raged on: charcoal braai vs. gas barbecue.
Charcoal Braai vs. Gas Barbecue: Weighing Up the Contenders
It’s a tough one when deciding which one is better, charcoal or gas. However, there are so many categories to compare them in that it would take months, years even, to come to a conclusion. Therefore, we’ve narrowed it to the most important areas when deciding the outcome of charcoal braai vs. gas barbecue.
- Taste – Meat always tastes better when barbecued outside, but you can’t beat the smoky taste of a searing steak over red hot coals. A gas barbecue comes close, but you lose the smoky element and it does not give you the same flavour when it comes to smoking with wood chips. There’s a certain nostalgia about eating meat off o hot, charcoal barbecue that can’t be beat. Edge: charcoal
- Convenience – When you’re looking for an appliance that is convenient, you have to go gas. Gas barbecues are easy to move and set up. No messy wood or, just push a button and you are ready to go. No more stoking the fire and getting a tan from the blaze and face full of smoke. And the best part is, even if you make a spontaneous decision to barbecue, rain or shine, the gas solution will be your choice. Edge: gas
- Temperature – Charcoal fires will burn hotter, that’s a fact, but gas gives you more control. With coals you often have to wait for the temperature to be just right. Gas allows you to control the temperature with a dial, allowing you to cook different meats at different speeds. Gas also gives you more control when cooking things other than meat. Grilled vegetables and bread come off delicious from a gas Barbecue. Edge: gas
- Cost – Gas may be convenient, but it’s more expensive. Firstly the gas barbecue system is more costly than it’s simpler, charcoal brother. Secondly, the actual gas is an expense. Purchasing a tank and getting it filled regularly will work out more per year than buying bundles of wood/charcoal to burn. Edge: charcoal
- Cleaner – One of the downsides of a charcoal fire is that it’s messy and dirty. Charcoal stains and when you’re done you have to clean out the ash. A gas barbecue is cleaner on two fronts. Gas burns cleaner than the smoky charcoal and is more environmentally conscious. The second advantage is that it cleans easier. The cooking is more contained and grease wipes off the metal surface easily. And when all is done, it wheels away conveniently. Edge: gas
And The Winner Is: Gas Barbecue (3 to 2)
There you have it, when you enter into the next charcoal braai vs. gas barbecue debate you know which side has the edge. The argument has come close, but at the wire it’s better to go gas than settling for charcoal.
For many people in South Africathe great outdoors is the first choice for a day out with family and friends. Any outdoor excursion, or even an opportunity for entertaining in the back garden, is the ideal time to enjoy the benefits of a charcoal braai. But first, let us discuss a few things about the South African braai and why it is that South Africans have been enjoying the unique taste of food prepared on a charcoal braai for generations.
Firstly, the preparation for the braaing process is extremely easy and will only take the cook and his or her helpers a couple of minutes. This process has become even easier in the past few years due to the fact that there is now a wider variety of choice of different charcoal briquettes and natural charcoal on the South African market. Each of the charcoal varieties has different burning times and the natural varieties lend the food a unique taste which many people enjoy.
Enjoying the benefits of a charcoal braai inSouth Africais today even easier than it has been in the past due to the many different types of firelighters on the market. There are both solid and liquid firelighters available, which makes the preparation for the braai almost hassle free.
The Charcoal Braaier and His Braai
One of the most important considerations when preparing to purchase a charcoal braai is to ensure that it is manufactured to the highest standards. This will allow the purchaser to be assured that they will be able to enjoy the benefits of this unique cooking method for many years.
The stainless steel charcoal braai, for instance, is well known, well liked and comes in numerous shapes and sizes. Stainless steel is highly weather resistant and with proper care a stainless steel charcoal braai will last many years. When purchasing a stainless steel charcoal braai always make sure that it has been produced by a manufacturer with a reputation for quality products, such as Cadac.
In order to fully enjoy the benefits of a charcoal braai, check to ensure that the model that you will be purchasing suits your individual lifestyle. There are a variety of different sizes and configurations of the charcoal braai and each is suited to the entertaining style and needs of individual households. Make sure that the braai has sufficient space to cook for large groups of people if you entertain regularly. If you are going to be moving the braai from place to place, for instance from the grass to the patio, always make sure that the model that you are purchasing is equipped with wheels which will make moving the unit that much easier.